I accidentally on purpose made it extra wide, and it took almost six balls of wool to get just about long enough, but it still looked a bit stumpy when I made the final stitch.
So then I blocked it, which sounds really efficient and technical doesn't it? It sounds as though you need some special piece of equipment, but it just means giving it a gentle hand wash in luke warm water, shaping it whilst damp and then leaving it to dry (You could use a steamer instead, and I might look into getting one of those, because I hear they are also great for cleaning!) Actually the moment I took it out of the soapy water I could see that the stitches had all lengthed out slightly so the scarf is a good length now. I wish I had done a Crazy Aunt Purl style before-and-after photo (She knitted the scarf, used a steamer and it grew a lot longer than mine. Otherwise, same-same!), but I forgot to.
I sort of made this up by using two different patterns from the Stitch and Bitch Crochet book. The Skull was mostly from from the pot holder pattern, except I made the left eye bigger and the skull shape slightly wonkier. The crossed bones were directly from the skull-and-crossbones sweater; but I didn't use the skull from that pattern because I wanted a more stylised look to it so I didn't want a lower jaw. The stripes in between were placed randomly when I felt like they might look good.
As I type this I am sitting on my sofa watching the Halloween specials of some of my favourite cartoons and wearing my scarf. It's not really cold enough to justify the scarf, but I don't care.